Photo of Chance the Rapper by Monty Brinton

Chance the Rapper announced Monday he is donating $1 million to Chicago Public Schools.

The Chicago emcee shared the news today during a press conference at Westcott Elementary School. It follows his meeting last week with Illinois governor Bruce Rauner to lobby for Chicago Public Schools. Ultimately, it didn't produce many concrete results or progress, according to Chance.

During the press event, Chance said Gov. Rauner's administration isn't "[giving] kids a chance without caveats or an ultimatum." He pointed to Rauner's “vague answers" to his questions, specifically about the $215 million in school funding the governor vetoed last December. "Do your job," he requested.

While his recent Grammys win is certainly pulling Chance in different directions with his career, he said today he couldn't overlook his hometown. 

"This is what's right," he said, regarding his decision, noting: "I'm a public school kid."

 

Get the Latest in Your Inbox

SUPER_SIMPLE_FEEDBACK_MESSAGES_ERRORS_EMAIL Mail address is not not valid