Photo of Mitch Hurwitz with 'Arrested Development' cast, courtesy Netflix

Arrested Development creator Mitch Hurwitz says stories for season 5 are "ready to go" with hopes of beginning production early next year.

The showrunner's comment came Wednesday during Netflix's panel at the Television Critics Association press tour, where Hurwitz said completing the show's fifth season is "the thing I’m really desperate to do,” revealing he and the writers have "a lot of the stories broke and we’re ready to go."

While he was careful to note there are still a lot of logistical pieces to be worked out (likely cast schedules), he said "if it does happen, it looks like the shooting will start at the beginning of 2017.”

Interestingly, Hurwitz's hopeful update comes exactly a year after Netflix content chief Ted Sarandos revealed negotiations were underway with the actors, calling it a "long, complex deal."

As we previously reported, Arrested executive producer Brian Grazer said last April the current plan is for "another 17 episodes" of the comedy.

This past May marked three years since Netflix revived the cult favorite for a 15-episode fourth season, seven years after Fox originally canceled the series. 

Get the Latest in Your Inbox

SUPER_SIMPLE_FEEDBACK_MESSAGES_ERRORS_EMAIL Mail address is not not valid